FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., March 10, 2020 - Genesis today announced that its new flagship sedan, the 2020 G90, earned a TOP SAFETY PICK+ award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). G90 also earned a superior rating for vehicle-to-vehicle interactions, avoiding collisions in 12 and 25 mph track tests. The brand’s other 2020 model year vehicles, the entry-luxury G70 and the mid-luxury G80, both received the same accolade in mid-February. Genesis is the only brand in the industry with an entire lineup of TOP SAFETY PICK+ rated vehicles.
“At Genesis, we thrive on putting our customers first,” said Mark Del Rosso, President and CEO of Genesis Motor North America. “That’s why we greatly appreciate this acknowledgement of our vehicles’ excellent performance by the highly-regarded IIHS.”
For a 2020 vehicle to achieve a Top Safety Pick + rating, it must: 1) have “Good” ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, passenger-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, 2) receive an “Advanced” or “Superior” rating for available front crash prevention ― vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian evaluations, and 3) must have “Acceptable” or “Good” headlights as standard equipment.
The G90 also earned an advanced rating for pedestrian front crash prevention. In each of the vehicle-to-pedestrian test scenarios, the G90 avoided collisions in the lower-speed tests and achieved significant speed reductions in the higher-speed tests.
“Nighttime visibility is critical to highway safety, so we’re particularly glad to see that the G90 comes standard with headlights that earn a good rating in our tests. This means that all new G90 buyers will drive away with a vehicle that provides good visibility while also limiting glare to other road users,” says IIHS Chief Research Officer, David Zuby.
All Genesis models come standard with a comprehensive suite of state-of-the-art driver assistance and safety technologies including Forward Collision Avoidance-Assist with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Keep Assist, Blind-Spot Collision Warning and more. Just as importantly, each vehicle in the Genesis line-up offers sure-footed handling thanks to rigid chassis construction ensuring drivers are ready to face even the most difficult driving conditions with confidence.
More on 2020 G90 Safety Features, Updates
The 2020 G90, offers an unparalleled level of standard active and passive safety systems as part of a brand-level commitment to passenger security and comfort. Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) in the 2020 G90 add a level of assuredness to the already refined driving experience. In addition to Genesis brand-wide ADAS technology, the following new systems debut on the 2020 G90:
* Lane Following Assist (LFA) expands the reach of lane-keep and lane-departure assists, to help stay centered in a lane and provide steering assistance.
* Rear Cross-traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA) uses rear side radar to help detect and prevent impact with obstacles.
* Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) can now help detect bicycles and vehicles in front of the vehicle.
* Safe Exit Assist (SEA) may alert a driver and passengers with alerts when an object is approaching an opening door
* Highway Driving Assist (HDA) assists the driver to maintain the center of a lane on marked interstate highways, while keeping a safe distance from a vehicle in front. It can act in conjunction with Highway Auto Speed Slowdown, which may adjust vehicle speed to match posted signs.
The 2020 G90 also includes 10 standard airbags, including a passenger-side knee airbag.